Monday, June 4, 2007

Week 1, Thing 2

Lifelong learning should be the goal of schools. (The teaching to "the" test, overuse of worksheets, everyone on the same page at the same time philosophy is definitely not the way to achieve this.) One quote from the tutorial that I especially liked was "Lifelong learning is attitudinal - learners believe that one can and should be open to new ideas, decisions, skills, and behaviors."

As I was thinking about the 7 1/2 Habits, I decided that the easiest for me was Habit 2, "Accept responsibility for your own learning." I enjoy learning new things and always have a project (or 2 or 3) going on. Habit 3, "View problems as challenges" is the most difficult. I tend to go right to crisis mode. I am working on stepping back and approaching things in a calmer fashion. What can I control? What is the challenge? How can I manage it? What additional information do I need? Will it matter in the long run? Sometimes, I have to acknowledge that it just is what is. (I've recently been dealing with a health issue and I'm applying this to my personal life as well as work.)

1 comment:

BM said...

Thanks for looking at my blog. I hope I can get a nice photo for week three like you. i told my tech god husband to try to help me with flickr
sky woman