Friday, August 17, 2007

Week 9, Thing 22

I am a huge fan of audio books when I am traveling. As I stated earlier, I checked out Full Cast Audio http://www.fullcastaudio.com/ and really like it. I listened to some samples and I think this format would be very appealing to students. When I get back to school (next week - hard to believe that we're starting a new year!) I plan to order a couple to see how they go. Also, I haven't tried the playaways yet, but it's time. One of the communities in my area offers small grants for schools so I think I'll apply for one and see if I can get some playaways that way. (I think it's important to check the quality when using free audio books - we're trying to hook readers.)

I have several reference eBooks from Gale that I am really happy with. However, reading eBooks for pleasure seems much more limiting to me. I definitely can see using excerpts or short stories for class projects though. The World eBook Fair has already ended for the year, but I did check out the Gutenburg Project site. I saved the Grimm's Fairy Tales http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext01/grimm10.txt to use in preparation for our author's visit with Michael Buckley.

1 comment:

sarahfina said...

The teacher rant was great! How true!!