Thursday, July 19, 2007

Week 5, Thing 11

I've been looking at various Web 2.0 winners. I decided to look at the bookmarking sites. I am currently using iKeepBookmarks and basically wanted to know if there was something better out there. I looked at Ma.gnolia, Furl, and Clipmarks. I have not been using the social bookmarking aspect (something else I can now play with) - I have just been using this as an organizational tool for me. Ma.gnolia uses tags and iKeepBookmarks uses folders. All of the sites now incorporate RSS feeds (something I was not aware of until this activity). I have decided to keep iKeepBookmarks - it's working for me and I like the way it is organized. If anyone is not using a bookmarking site, however, I really do recommend it.

I also checked out Library Thing and am really impressed. My husband and I were just discussing that we needed some way to catalog our personal books and this site is great (we're both avid readers and have a huge collection). I also have already added the site to my cell phone so if I'm in a book store and want to check on books by an author or see if I already have a book, I just check on my phone. This site is definitely a winner.

Also, I decided to join the Teacher-Librarian Ning. I joined the middle school librarian group. There is currently a discussion on using Web 2.0 tools with students.

1 comment:

Liz Dodds said...

You have really done a lot with this lesson. Thanks for the tip about ikeepbookmarks. I had not heard of it before!