Friday, August 10, 2007

Week 8, Thing 19

Library Thing is a wonderful find. As I posted earlier, my husband and I had discusssed cataloging our home library and this is perfect. It's very easy to use. I borrowed a scanner from school and just scan in the ISBN number (some paperbacks have to be entered by hand). I also added the mobile feature to our cell phones so that we can search our home library while in book stores, etc. Tags and reviews can be added quickly. I've also enjoyed exploring the groups and seeing how many other people own the same books that I do.

As I started adding books from my collection, I decided to tag my autographed copies. Using the blog widget under tools, I added some of my autographed books to my blog (scroll down and look on the left).

I see the advantage of using Library Thing at school to share the new books we've added to our collection. I also think I will use Library Thing with my library aides to write reviews and add books that they've read and books that they are interested in. (I usually have 2 - 4 student aides each period and I like to have an activity for them to work on for those times that I do not need their help; I've had them make posters, create PowerPoint presentations, create newsletters, etc.)

Now I need to upgrade to a lifetime memebership and just begin scanning in our books.

1 comment:

bibliofan said...

What a great idea, using your LibraryThing with your aides. Plus I love the mobile feature.